Canonical has released Ubuntu 22.10(Kinetic Kudu) with new features and fixes. This article will discuss the top 10 new features of Ubuntu 22.10.
Support lifespan – Ubuntu 22.10 has a support life span of 9 months until July 2023.
1. GNOME 43
The desktop environment is updated to GNOME 43.
Some key features of GNOME 43 are :
- Faster and more customizable experience.
- Dynamically changing layout based on window size.
- Listview with a new look.
- The GNOME Books app is no longer available. The recommended replacement app is Foliate.
- GTK4 apps support – including default file manager Nautilus.
- GNOME Text Editor is now the default text editor, also we can install Gedit via the package manager.
2. Quick Settings
Quick settings can be accessed by clicking the top right corner of the screen.
Now we can quickly access the following settings:
- Night light
- Switch audio devices and more
3. Spread effect is back!
The spread effect is simply showing all the opened windows of the same app when clicking its icon on the dock.
4. Toolchain updates
Ubuntu 22.10 brings new updates to the development toolchains.
- Ruby 3.1
- Go 1.19
- GCC 12.2
- Rust 1.61
5. Pipewire as the default audio system
PipeWire is a project that aims to greatly improve the handling of audio/video under Linux. It provides low-latency audio and a graph-based processing engine. Ubuntu 22.10 now defaults PipeWire as the audio system. Expect better performance and more compatibility, particularly with modern Bluetooth devices.
6. Linux Kernel 5.19
Ubuntu 22.10 comes with Linux kernel 5.19 and some key features are :
- Configured to enable multi-threaded CPU decompression for squashfs, it will improve startup time in some devices.
- Support for Intel AMX (Advanced Matrix Extensions) instructions.
- A faster random number generator (entropy extractor switched from SHA1 to BLAKE2s).
- Support for Intel Trust Domain Extensions (TDX).
7. Gaming Performance Boost(Wine/Proton)
Ubuntu 22.10 has the new futex_waitv() syscall enabled, which will improve the gamer tools like wine, proton, etc.
8. WebP Image Support
Ubuntu 22.10 will support WebP image format natively. It is a modern image format that provides superior lossless and lossy compression for images.
9. Updated applications
Ubuntu 22.10 comes with updated applications.
- Firefox 106
- LibreOffice 7.4
- Thunderbird 102
10. New Wallpapers
Ubuntu 22.10 comes with new wallpapers.
Installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox (Windows 10 Host)
That’s all about the top 10 new features in Ubuntu 22.10. Read VirtualBox Guest Additions Common Problems and Solutions.